Friday, February 26, 2010


As per usual, I talked to a bunch of people I didn't know yesterday. I was on assignment for the Talon, taking photos of Food Inc. director Robert Kenner. The turnout in Ward 1 to hear the man speak about his Oscar nominated documentary gave me a bit of a thrill; that a mass of people actually cared to hear about this food issue that no one wants to think about.

As a big supporter of the democracy movement in Burma, I was (and maybe still am) rooting for Burma VJ to win in the social documentary category at the Oscars. But I can't lie--it was awesome getting to shake hands, talk with, and share corn chips!, with Robbie Kenner. I was surprised to hear him say that he thought we needed more journalists in the world to keep our world honest. I mean, not surprised about that sentiment since he is doing investigative work himself, but I haven't heard anyone say much about journalism lately other than saying it's dead. Or impossible to find a job in. Or unsustainable from a business perspective.

Thank you, Robert Kenner.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. What else could have been added to this posting? Audio, perhaps? Video? Links?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to hear that people still do appreciate journalists for the work that they do...If only more people turned off American Idol and tuned in to the news, then America would be on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only took photos at the event, so I could definitely poke around online to get links to the Food Inc. trailer or to the Take Part website.

    Jack--it is nice to hear, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete